Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Swimming

I have been swimming twice a week, for what I figured has been six weeks. I think I have the perfect schedule - every Wednesday and Friday morning. This way, I don't have to worry about getting up at 5:45 a.m. right after a weekend, but by the time the mid-week rolls around, I don't have too much motivation left on evenings to work out, so getting it done in the morning is great. It took me 2-3 weeks to get back into swimming, so during that time I was mostly just swimming laps without any real thought to it. I've been able to improve my stroke and speed in that short time at least enough to dictate my pace, so I started doing sets, or what a humble beginner might call a set. 300's with 3x25 3 normal; 3x25, 1 fast, 2 normal; 3x25, 2 fast, 1 normal; 3x25, 3 fast. Then ladder down with the same sets in the opposite direction. I'm not that fast, so I can usually do the entire 600 set, a 10 minute warm up, 5 minute cool down, and 10-15 minutes of targeted stuff in 45 minutes. I did do another 300 set and part of a 4th this morning. The 3rd and 4th were with a floatie, which makes it so much fun. My goal is to do 4 sets, so 2 full ladders, or 1200m. Then I can learn a new set and mix it up.

There are some seriously fast and strong swimmers at the South Boulder Rec Center. I try to eyeball them underwater and pick up some tips.

I've been trying to run 2-3 times a week, and ski 1-2 times a week. I'd like to start cycling during the day, if anything just a 30 minute hill climb. It would be nice to be in shape to do some Xterras this summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment