Monday, February 2, 2009

I eat Steel for Breakfast

One of my favorite Michael Scott quotes is:

"I guess this is what they call a bittersweet moment. It is bitter because I slightly destroyed a wonderful little family. But sweet because David Wallace thought I did a good job. That's what I hate bittersweet chocolate. I don't even... what's the point of that? Why not just sweet? Who are you helping?"

I love football, but it does makes me sad sometimes. I wanted to see the Cardinals win their first championship more than I wanted to see the Steelers become the first team to win six championships. Football is just one big bittersweet moment, especially when the camera veers back and forth between sadness and happiness. I feel so happy for the winning team, because winning is awesome, but then they switch to the other team completely deflated and I get depressed. But back to cheers and Gatorade coolers and confetti! Woohoo! Then over to sorrow, and head in their hands and tears, and I am upset again. It's an emotional rollercoaster. Sometimes I wish I had never watched the game, because half of the time (or more, if you cheer for teams in Colorado), I end up wistful. But it my team had won, I would also have been sad not to have watched. Risky business. What to do?

Plus, the ads sucked this year.

2 comments:

  1. Bekah eats steel(cut oats) for breakfast.
    RE: your football laments, no one knows wistful like a Bills fan. At least you can have the memory of what it was like to win the Super Bowl...TWICE! But alas, us Bills fan are still in waiting. it's like Gitmo: it's torture and you have no idea when the waiting will end. But still we dream of freedom...or a SuperBowl. (Stanley Cup will do just fine, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I didn't mean to imply steel cut oats, but I did pick up on that after I wrote it, and kept it!
    I know, Bills fans have it rough. Kind of a schizophrenic team this year! The Broncos have been like that every year for the past 3-4 years. Awesome starts and awesome potential, but they just can't keep the momentum going. Oh well, new coach next year!

    ReplyDelete