Thursday, January 15, 2009

Food

I like to cook. I also like efficiency and maximizing time spent actually enjoying cooking rather than using the wrong tool for a job and getting frustrated. Off the top of my head, these are some of my favorite and most versatile tools:

- Peeler - not just for vegetables! Cheese, spices, chocolate.

- Mini-chopper and grinder - for garlic, spices, herbs, sauces, emulsifying.

- Lemon juicer - I don't care what Mark Bittman says, it's easier this way.

- A good paring knife and a good butcher knife - most knives are unfortunately one-dimensional. For good results either of these two usually does the trick.

- Plastic cutting boards - and lots of them!

- One other thing I like to do is have all of my oils/vinegars/sauces, and all of my spices very clearly displayed. This way, I am aware of all the ingredients I have at my disposal so that I can make the best decision and I can be creative because it's inspiring to see all sorts of products well presented.

I also love cookbooks. I have many, but always seem to go back to the same ones for help figuring out what to make. Not all cookbooks are great. I prefer those with pictures or simple layouts, a mix of resources on a wide range of foods, but also down to earth, appealing recipes, and also those that make it approachable to try new recipes and flavors. The three that I use most often for everyday cooking are below. Otherwise, I pull recipes from magazines, online or other cookbooks I have, when I have time and am inspired to try something new. Or when Steve has a yen for a far off food.

- The New Basics Cookbook, by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins: a resource for info on most any ingredient you can think of, also with very American-type recipes for all seasons.

- The Working Cook:Fast and Fresh Meals for Busy People by Tara Duggan: more like fast, easy, delicious and simple meals for a weeknight.

- Food to Live By: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook
by Myra Goodman, Linda Holland, and Pamela McKinstry: taught me how to make my own granola and has great recipes and the story of Earthbound Farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment