Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Trout Whisperer

Schivonne, Kris, Steve and I spent the weekend in Carbondale, to ski, hang out with my parents and get out of dodge. Steve and I skied Snowmass Saturday. The snow was iffy, but it was around 25 degrees all day, enough to compensate for the the lack of fresh snow, and we were still able to ski our favorite Snowmass spots - Campground, Long Shot, Cirque Headwall, Hanging Valley Wall. I had my K2 Burnin' Luvs and Steve his Volkls AC40s. It wasn't the best day for our powder skis, and it was awesome to have an excuse to take those other skis out and go fast.

Anyway, the four of us had dinner at Ella on Saturday night, where Schivonne and Kris got married in September and right next to my parent's store on Main Street in Carbondale. I think The Kitchen in Boulder and Ella are my two favorite restaurants in Colorado - simple, creative, delicious and local food with reasonably priced wines and approachable, down to earth staff. Three of us had the mixed grill special - elk sausage, rack of lamb, salsify puree, mushrooms, and huckleberry sauce - and Kris stuck with his favorite, fancy mac&cheese with truffles. I'd love to make my own sausage. All I need is a sausage maker attachment for the KitchenAid. That's going to have to wait though. I need to appreciate my Christmas kitchen gadgets before I spend more money.

Now for the best part!!! On Sunday, we went for a walk along the Roaring Fork River. The RFR is a direct tributary to the Colorado River, and the spot where we walked had a bunch of diversions, adjoining streams, riparian vegetation and wildlife. Steve had an adventure bee in his bonnet, and set off on all sorts of crazy adventures, including trout whispering (the Cesar Milan of trout - ask him about the time he caught a live trout with his hands) and crawling through tunnels. It was all hilarious. The two videos below are of Steve both whispering to trout (in addition to the picture at right), and crawling through a random tunnel in search for the lost ark (hang in there with the tunnel video - it's funny).




No comments:

Post a Comment