Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Writing

I find it liberating to write without an audience. I always write for an audience - a family member, a friend, a group of friends, a prospective employer, stakeholders , the public. A government official. A coworker. A client. An email trying to pitch our services. A proposal that will likely get us no where. A memo that will update people on a specific topic. An email that I spend 30 minutes on trying to get the right tone, that one person will inevitably feel is passive agressive, or not to the point, or that I will worry about and reread over an over again.

Writing to no one, about what is on my mind, instead of tailoring it to someone else's need, is therapeutic. I'm a bit self involved, but I like to explore ideas, too. I get stuck writing other things. I admire investigative news journalists. They need to come up with a story, and put together the pieces themselves. Most journalists follow the news around. Investigative news journalists, rather, make the news.

I have so many people to talk to about so many things, but it's never as cohesive as I'd like. I'd rather just write it down and get it over with.

No comments:

Post a Comment